Director of Artistic Planning
The Director of Artistic Planning is the chief coordinator of all artistic activities, and as such the position serves as the:
* general manager of the Helena Symphony Orchestra
* executive assistant to the Music Director
* chief of staff for the Artistic Administration
As a senior member of the Artistic Administration, the Director of Artistic Planning coordinates concert production with other staff members, participates in artistic planning, and contracts all guest artists that perform with the Helena Symphony per the planning of the Music Director.
The position works with the staff to prepare the annual artistic budget, including the entire artistic operations budget, orchestra payroll, guest artist payroll, music budget, and venue and operations expenses. The position also works with the Artistic Administration to coordinate rehearsals and personnel policies, and serves on the negotiating committee that oversees the Master Agreement for the musicians of the Helena Symphony Orchestra.
The position serves as the principal contact for the Music Director, including administer the Music Director’s appointments, guest speaking engagements, public appearances, fund raiser events, travel schedule, correspondences, donor relationships, meetings, press interviews, and office hours.
* superior organizational skills
* strategic thinker with excellent planning and management skills
* ability to work independently and with teams of people
* highest integrity and ethical standards
* able to sustain the trust and confidence of internal and external constituencies
* ability to develop and maintain a commitment to excellence, creativity, teamwork, and mutual respect
* appreciation for classical music and understands its value in the community
* excellent computer skills
* maintain a smart phone
* experience and strong knowledge of Microsoft Office as well as task management applications
* Bachelor’s degree preferred (not required)
* some music background preferred (not required)
COMPENSATION & HOURS
The position requires 20 hours a week, and hours are flexible. The position requires working during performance and rehearsal times, so some nights and weekends are required. Working around the Music Director’s schedule is also expected.
Salary: $16-$18 per hour with paid holidays, paid sick leave, and paid vacation.
No health benefits are offered at this time.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a detailed resume and letter of application to Director of Patron Services Scott Kall at [email protected] Candidates selected will interview with search committee and the Music Director. Applications will be considered until the position is filled, but applications received before 14 April 2017 will be given priority.
Helena Symphony Orchestra
The Helena Symphony Orchestra is a regional professional orchestra and works under a collective bargaining agreement.
Auditions are scheduled as needed. Auditions for substitute positions may be scheduled at any time. Current openings and requirements are listed in the links below.
Please contact the Director of Artistic Planning at [email protected] for more information or to schedule an audition.
Current Openings: (Click to download description)
Helena Symphony Chorale
The Helena Symphony Chorale schedules auditions upon request or as needed. Singers must be able to read music and who have choral experience are welcome to audition.
The 90-voice chorale currently rehearses Sunday evenings, 6:00-9:00 p.m.
The Audition Information Form must be downloaded and completed prior to an audition.
Please contact the Chorale Managers at [email protected] for more information or to schedule an audition.